Filed In: summer fun
I know I’ve been MIA for a few weeks in the blog-land, but I actually have a really good excuse. I started a new job! I started a few weeks ago for a company called SpinMedia – it’s a publishing company in the music and entertainment business. I am absolutely loving it so far! I have some pretty great coworkers that have made my transition a little bit easier. Plus, just being in the music and entertainment business is lots of fun.
Last week I got to travel to Los Angeles for training. Their headquarters is out there, and it was so much fun visiting a new city. The photo above was taken outside our hotel – the Roosevelt Hotel in Hollywood. I loved this hotel (as seen here and here, too). It used to be the “hot place” to go a few years back or so we heard. I guess it was even a location filmed for The Hills a few times. I think I might do a full post about my trip out there.
We get our new frenchie puppy (Chloe) in TWO WEEKS. I cannot tell you how excited I am! Just look how cute she is.
I just discovered this week that the Phillip Lim for Target line comes out on September 15th. I’ve already got my eye on at least two bags (yay, I can actually afford these ones), but I’m sure I’ll stockpile a ton of other things too. I know I’m going to love everything! You can check out a sneak peak of his line here.
I am getting my hair colored and cut next weekend, but I’m having a hard time deciding what exactly I want to do with it. I’ve debated doing a short-ish bob (like everyone else), because I really want to get rid of the layers in my hair. However, I am already rocking the ómbré look so maybe I should just do one trend at a time. What do you think?
The Chicago Air & Water Show is this weekend, and I’m pumped. I got my camera last year the day before the show so I can’t wait to take more pictures to see how much my photography has improved (probably not much since I have yet to take a class, ha). You can see pictures of last year’s show here.
from my new camera! I bought my very first DSLR camera, and I’m so excited. I went into Best Buy to finish my “research” and walked out with a brand new camera. Oops! I pretty much had my mind made up when I walked in there, but I guess I just needed the sales guy to talk me into it. I’ve only had it for a little over 24 hours, and I’m happy to say that I think I made the right decision even though it was a lot of money.
On Sunday I took it out for my first trial run. I still have no idea what I’m doing, but I did manage to get some good pictures. I even used the Manual settings too! I still have lots to learn, but I’d have to say my first try wasn’t half bad.
Baby girl (aka our foster puppy, Bagel) loved to pose for the camera. Crosby, not so much.
Oh, and I didn’t do any editing in Photoshop on these – just re-sized and/or cropped them.
The Chicago Air & Water show was this weekend so Evan and I rode our bikes over to the lake to catch the show. I loved it! I had never seen an air show up close and personal so I was flipping out. And it was such a beautiful day – not too hot and super sunny!
And my favorite part – the Blue Angels. They had a plane that did a show on it’s own before the jets came in. It was a huge plane (C-130 I think) and got so close to us. Very loud too. 🙂
And the jets!
I couldn’t believe how close they got to each other. Below is a picture of two planes heading directly towards each other (like a game of chicken).
And then they came in from all different directions. Ah! I know my pictures don’t really do it justice, but it was crazy to see in person.
i thought this little girl blowing bubbles out of her wagon was super cute. I think I need a bubble gun now.
And this girl had a baby-like harness…for her dog. Um, what?
Evan just lounged on our blanket watching the planes while I snapped 100s of pictures.
And I think this is my favorite from the day. Nice pose babe.
Obviously still lots to learn, but I am absolutely loving my camera so far. I can’t wait to take a class and really figure out how to take some great pictures.
This past weekend I ran a 5K called the Color Run. I’m sure the majority of you have seen pictures on Pinterest of the run, but I thought I’d share my experience too. It was such a blast, and I can’t wait to run again next year. Hopefully next year Chicago will step up their game though and allow more people to run. I had to run in the Indianapolis one because the Chicago one sold out so fast. Oh well. It was still so much fun!
Here is the before picture – all clean in white.
Waiting in line to start. It took forever!
I loved this sculpture! It fit perfectly into the event too.
And here is the after! Lauren got a huge pile of purple chalk in her hair. She told me that even after washing it twice it didn’t come out either. Ahhh!
My favorite part of the day was at the after-run celebration where everyone would throw chalk at the same time. Here is the best picture I got of it. I had to keep my phone in a baggy so that it didn’t get ruined and a lot of the pictures didn’t turn out that great.
And here is a fun before and after picture of my hand. Haha. I had to scrub forever to get all of it off.
And I’d have to agree, the Color Run is the happiest 5K on the planet. Definitely doing it again next year. Hope you all had a great weekend too!
I’ve been a horrible blogger yet again so let me catch you up on what’s been going on lately.
1. I took a trip down to Alabama to surprise one of my best friends for her birthday (also, 4th of July). I flew into Birmingham and we hung out at Oak Mountain State Park on the 4th. Then had our own fireworks show in the street.
The next morning we drove down to Gulf Shores to stay on the beach for a few days. We had such a blast!!
We cuddled in bed while it rained.
We bought ridiculous neon trucker hats with our names on them. Apparently we think we are in high school again.
We carried around matching neon beach bags that I made everyone. You know, to match our ridiculous neon hats.
H and I did a little damage at the outlet malls on our way back to Birmingham. Gotta love the Coach outlet store. (excuse the horrible picture of me)
All in all it was a fabulous trip and I had so much fun with my besties! Can’t wait to go back in October for my birthday!
2. I attended an event hosted by SkinnyCow with one of my co-workers. It was a Dirty Dancing movie screening event where we got to eat free ice-cream. We also got free “swag bags” after the event full of goodies. I forgot how much I loved that movie! I also forgot how much I loved SkinnyCow ice-cream. If you’ve never had one of their bars or ice-cream sandwiches you are missing out. Low in calories and ohhh, sooo yummy!
3. I became a vegetarian. More on that in the coming weeks as I get used to it. 🙂
4. I also attempted to run the Beach Dash the weekend after I got back from Alabama. Worst. Decision. Ever. Let me just start off by saying that I didn’t really prepare for this. It’s a 5K with obstacles. Really tall obstacles where you are not latched on to anything. If you fall, you die (well, probably not, but it would definitely hurt). I could barely get myself over some of these obstacles. We’re talking like 15-20 ft tall walls to climb…then you basically slide down the other side. And I’m scared of heights. Awesome. I think it took me a good two minutes to convince myself to climb down the last one.
Here are the boys all geared up and ready to run!
I also learned my lesson to never run with shoes that aren’t made for long distance running. I didn’t want to ruin my good running shoes since we were running through wet sand and water, etc so I wore Nike Shox. By the end of the race I could barely walk in them because I had created the biggest blisters.
I am running the Color Run (another 5K) this weekend so hopefully I do better in that one. Going to wear my actual running shoes this time.
5. I volunteered for my first Bright Pink event! It was a high tea charity event and it was super fun. I don’t have any pictures from it, but I did meet some really great new ladies. I can’t wait to volunteer for another one soon!
6. I went to the Taste of Chicago and saw a free Dierks Bentley concert. We didn’t last too long because it was super hot outside.
7. Evan and I went on a little shopping spree for home stuff this past weekend. Can’t wait to take pictures and update you all on our new stuff. Our apartment is finally looking a little more put together. Here is one thing we bought. Yep, and that’s only 1 of the 4 plants we bought. Let’s hope I don’t kill them all.
And again, I promise to not go so long without blogging. I do miss it terribly when I don’t. I’ll be back on Friday for my favorite link-up too!